12.04.2010

Thanksgiving Encore

Max is an amazing sleeper.  1 hour morning napper, 3 hour afternoon napper, 11-12 hour night sleeper.  Yesterday was a different story.  Apparently, his morning nap was all he felt necessary to take.  His afternoon nap consisted of crying, being held, falling asleep, back in crib, wake up and repeat cycle for the next 2 1/2 hours.  I had big plans for his afternoon nap.  I was going to decorate a cake, finish my bible study, and if I had time, start decorating the tree.  I started the cake at 1:00 and didn't finish until a little after 5:00, my bible study didn't get finished until 10:15 pm and our tree is still bare.

God is working on me.  He keeps telling me to be thankful in ALL circumstances.  I've discovered when God is trying to teach me something, He gives me lots of opportunities to practice.  It's easy for me to be thankful for the good stuff in life.  It's even fairly easy for me to find things to be thankful for when I'm going through a pretty significant trial, but to be thankful when I'm frustrated or annoyed with the little things is really hard for me.

Abigail's Hope Designs

So, as frustrated as I was that the afternoon nap did not meet my expectations, I began thanking God.

Thank you, God, for giving me this precious baby.  Pretty obvious starting point.

Thank you, God, that Max is letting me rock him to sleep.  He normally doesn't cuddle when he is tired.

Thank you, God, for giving me an opportunity to be still with no other distractions.

As soon as I started thanking God, my focus and attitude changed.  Thankfulness puts things in perspective.  In the grand scheme of things, a missed nap is not the end of the world.

I slipped back to my old self, dwelling on the negative, many times the rest of the evening, but am so thankful for the grace God extends to me.

He's still working on me, to make me what I ought to be...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...