5.26.2011

Best Loved Recipes {Fruit Coffee Cake}



Judges: Wes and Abby

Rating - I used apples for my fruit filling simply because that's what I had on hand.  I think that peaches would be my first choice served with a scoop of my dad's homemade icecream.  It could definitely pass for a dessert, but since it's called a "coffee cake", go ahead and eat it for breakfast.

Recipe from Better Homes and Garden's Cookbook
2 c. apricots, peaches, apples, blueberries or raspberries (chopped and pealed)
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp.  cornstarch
1-1/2 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 c. butter or margerine (of course, I used butter)
1 beaten egg
1/2 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp. butter

1. For filling, in medium saucepan, combine fruit and water.  Bring to boiling.  Reduce heat and simmer (don't simmer raspberries) covered about 5 minutes.  Combine 1/4 c. sugar and cornstarch; stir in fruit.  Cook and stir over med. heat until think and bubbly.  Cook and stir 2 minutes more; set filling aside.

2. In medium bowl, combine 1-1/2 c. flour, 3/4 c. sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.  Cut in 1/4 c. butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.  Make a well in mixture; set aside.

3. In another bowl combine egg, buttermilk and vanilla.  Add mixture all at once to flour mixture.  Stir just until moistened (lumpy batter).  Spread half of batter into ungreased 8x8 pan.  Spread filling over batter.  Drop remaing batter in a small mounds onto filling.

4. In a small bowl stir together 1/4 c. flour and 1/4 c. sugar.  Cut in 2 Tbsp. butter until mixture resembles course crumbs.  Sprinkle over coffee cake.  Bake at 350 for 40 to 45 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. It looks amazing, I think you should bring some to my house:) jk. I must be perfectly honest though and say that as soon as I see that some things needs put on the stove and some things need mixed and other things need to be put into another bowl, I move on to the next recipe. Good for you making a (what looks to me) complicated recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @abby

    There were a lot of bowls...but I don't mind all of the steps. It wasn't that complicated. I have complete faith that you could do it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...