12.05.2011

I cried at Walmart

If you know me in real life...you know that I'm a cryer.  I've come to grips with my free-flowing waterworks, but I still hate crying in public because I feel like I don't do it pretty.

Is there anyone that cries pretty?

Anyway...

Max and I were browsing through the toy aisles at Walmart looking for some gifts for my nephews.  There was an old gentleman working next to a huge bin of teddy bears.  Max spotted them from a distance.  My boy loves anything squishy  and soft, so we did what we always do...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I give the bear to Max.

He hugs it...kisses it.

I tell Max to say goodbye to the bear.

Max waves and we're off.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's worked every time, so we stick with it.

We continued our shopping in a few other areas of the store.  About 15 minutes later, we were heading to the front to check out and I saw the old gentleman walking toward me with a cart...

...with the bear on top.

He stopped me and said that he had been looking all over for us.  He handed me the bear and $10 to buy it.  He gave me a smile and said, "Have a Merry Christmas."

Cue tears.

What a sweet memory that man made for me.

I'm so glad, I thought to take a look at his name tag.  His name is Bill, so that's what we named the bear.

Meet Bill the Bear.


Isn't he ridiculous?  Definitely nothing I would ever buy for Max, but I love him.



I love him because every year when we get him out with all of the other Christmas decorations, I will get to retell the story - the story of kindness and the joy of giving to others.

Thanks, Mr. Bill.  I've got $10 ready to pay it forward.







Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. That just made me cry too! How sweet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ugggh tears!! How incredibly precious!! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet story! I love old men! abbyb

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! That is the sweetest story ever.
    It's nice to know there are still such sweet people out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a totally validated public crying experience! What a sweet gesture. Not only did he bless you two, but I'm sure he felt good by doing it. What a perfect example of goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, goosebumps on my arms and legs right now. So very nice. What a wonderful experience. So, whatcha gonna do to pay it forward? Can't wait to hear how you are led to bless someone else!
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwwwwww!!!!!!!!!! People (some) are so good.... what a nice thing to do.

    I'm a crier. You need to have a page at the top of your blog with that "I cried at..."

    Max is SOOOO handsome. Do you see how much trouble you are going to be in when he's in middle/high school?! Look at the first photo of him! WOW!!!! He's so handsome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my, this made me teary. what a lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dang it, now I'm crying too! Ugly tears, btw! Thanks for sharing your sweet story!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...